April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month. To celebrate, our dentist and team would like to provide some helpful information about oral cancer and encourage you to come in for an oral cancer screening. At our office, oral cancer screenings are performed during routine dental cleaning and exam appointments.
What is oral cancer?
Oral cancer includes cancers of the lips, inside of the mouth, throat, tonsils and salivary glands. Like most cancers, oral cancer can be fatal if it is not detected and treated early. If oral cancer is not diagnosed early, it is more likely that surgery, radiation therapy or chemotherapy will be needed.
What are the symptoms of oral cancer?
Although there are some symptoms that you can watch out for, the early signs of oral cancer can be easy to overlook. That is why you should have regular oral cancer screenings in Las Vegas, Nevada, with Dr. William Robison. In addition to having an oral cancer screening every six months, contact Whispering Pines Dental if you notice any of the following symptoms:
– A sore inside the mouth or on the lips that bleeds easily and will not heal
– Unexplained numbness in the mouth
– A lump in the cheek that can be felt with the tongue
– White or red patches inside of the mouth
– Trouble chewing or swallowing
– Unexplained soreness in the mouth
– The unexplained sensation that something is caught in the throat
– Swelling in the jaw
– A change in your voice
We encourage you to contact our office at 702-384-5070 today for more information more about oral cancer and to schedule a screening. We are here to aid you and your oral health!